So, as I was going to be waiting a while for my new equipment, a rainy Monday morning seemed like a great time to get a clearer picture of the fiber stash. Mostly it was an attempt spread out the spinning so that I would have my lazy kate by the time I was ready to ply again. The Sweet-n-Low box served me well, but I really didn’t want to have to use it again.
Ravelry has been slowly but steadily improving the spinning portion of the database. When people first started stashing fiber, it was mostly just a text entry and a picture. Currently, there are all sorts of specific fields for information including fiber composition and percentage, fiber prep options, colorway, company name, date purchased, price, etc. I hauled out box after box of my spinning fibers and made sure they were all listed and that the details were filled in. I had been pretty good about listing the fiber stash, but at the end of the day, I was up 20 entries. Most of those were 4 oz. braids, but their were some larger lots. As it stands right now, I have 92 fiber stash entries on Ravelry, and that’s probably 95% of my overall fiber stash. Of course, the yet unlisted is a lot of fleece, so maybe more like 50% by weight.
Then, once I had my clearer picture, I needed to choose the next thing to spin. Since the bobbins wouldn’t be coming any time soon, I needed to keep it to fibers I knew I wanted to spin 2-ply or chain-ply. Have I mentioned I have 92 options? Granted, not all of those fit the plying criteria, but I just didn’t know where to begin. Enter the Random Number Generator! I plugged in my numbers, and it returned 60. I counted down to the 60th entry on my Rav stash page – nah. I mean, it was a really great fiber, but it was mostly white and blue, and I was hoping for a bit more color. So, undermining the whole concept of randomly generating a number, I clicked it again and got 89. This time I went with it. It was a lovely blend from Winterhaven Farms of 60% merino and 40% bamboo in a colorway of greens and orangey-yellows named Mallard. It was a well-marinated stash purchase at Greencastle, so its time had more than come.
I finished up the first bobbin in about three hours. I’m trying to time my spinning to see just how many hours I have in a skein.
That was Tuesday. Wednesday I was out visiting my friend and dropping by my LYS for the area yarn crawl. Since I bought this beauty, I’m not doing any stash enhancements this year, but I do have several of my dyed yarns at the shop, and I’ll do a blog post about that later this week (spoiler alert: it went really well). Wednesday was also the day my lazy kate arrived! So Thursday was spent finishing up the second bobbin. I divided the fiber in half vertically, then I split each half into thinner strips horizontally. I’m hoping for a really good color distribution.
I haven’t yet plied them, as I spent yesterday at a local town’s 175th anniversary, or dodransbicentennial. (Dodrans is the latin contraction of de-quadrans meaning ‘a whole unit less a quarter’. Thanks Wikipedia!) I had my soaps there and was supposed to demonstrate weaving on a rigid heddle loom, but maybe wove 2″ or so. And yes, we’re in the middle of the heatwave from Hades. It was miserable, but there were still diehard souls that came out, and several of them went home with brand new wonderful soap for their evening showers. I know that’s exactly what I did after unloading the car. I was set up next to my friend who demonstrated spinning, and her sweetie brought us a huge shop fan. Without that, we would have melted. Speaking of melting, I took fresh made soap still in loaf form to show part of the homemade process, and that was fine until the sun shifted. Once the fresh soap was in the sun, it liquified like a candle. It held shape okay, but touching it revealed just the outer shell was holding it together. That got carefully transported back home.
So, the bobbins are scheduled to be created and shipped by July 28. I may be calling on the Random Number Generator again.